Career Solutions
Find Your Opportunity
Work Permits
The Basics

If you are 15 or younger you will need a work permit

How to Obtain Work Permits:

Work permits are only issued if you already have a job or the promise of a job. The minimum age for employment is 14. A work permit is required until you turn 16. Work Permits can be obtained at the school you are attending or from the Superintendent's office of the school district in which you reside, or from the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions office nearest you. Your parent or guardian must be with you at the time your work permit is issued. Proof of age at the time of issuance must be furnished. You must have one of the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid Drivers License
  • State Issued ID
  • School ID/Records indicating date of birth
  • Military ID/Dependent's ID Card
  • Native American Tribal Document
  • Medicaid Card/Medical Records indicating Date of birth
  • Resident Alien Card
  • US Passport
  • Baptismal Record

First try contacting the school you are attending for a work permint.

List of Superintendents - offsite pdf file

List of Workforce Development Offices

Further information on Work Permints or Child Labor Laws can be obtained from the Labor & Industrial Child Labor Section phone 827-6817 or 827-0091.