To better serve our residents affected by COVID-19 and the economic downturn, a New Mexico Economic Impact survey has been created to better understand what employment services and resources are most needed right now. This survey will also help the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions build our knowledge of what specific barriers and challenges residents are facing as they seek employment. The response received from this survey will help us improve our services. Click the link below in either English or Espanol to begin the survey.
English • Español
A summary of the results taken from the English survey and collected from July 30 through August 4, 2020 included the following:
- An overwhelming concern about rent or mortgage payments at 87.6%, highlighting the need for Congress to continue the additional Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation payments. The $600 federal CARES Act stipend ended the week of July 25th.
- Large numbers of New Mexicans (89%) are uncomfortable returning to in-person work or education, with health issues and the risk of COVID-19 being the highest rated roadblock to people returning to the workforce. This re-emphasizes the importance of both workplaces engaging in COVID-safe practices and for individuals to wear masks and socially distance to stop the spread of the virus.
- Access to Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and requiring customers to wear masks and socially distance themselves were noted as the most effective ways to give workers a sense of security returning to work.
- Many New Mexicans will be unable to return to work unless they can gain access to health care or their work schedules can provide flexibility or an at-home option.
- Respondents generally have access to a cell phone and internet but will need assistance with access to computers and quiet areas if work or learn at home options are going to be successful.
- Workers do want access to job availability and training programs that lead to concrete career pathways.
To see the full result of each survey, click the links below:
New Mexico Economic Impact Survey Results - English
New Mexico Economic Impact Survey Results - Espanol