Site Search GO


Discrimination under the law refers to specific types of differential treatment. To be defined as discrimination, the adverse treatment or harassment experienced must be based on at least one of the following protected statuses: race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, sex, age (if 40 or over), physical and mental handicap, serious medical condition, spousal affiliation, sexual orientation, and gender identity.

Filing a Complaint

If you feel you have been discriminated against in the areas of employment, housing, credit or public accommodation based on the any of the listed protected statuses, you may call our office at (800) 566-9471 (toll-free in New Mexico) or (505) 827-6838 and speak with an intake officer.

The intake officer will help you determine if your case is actionable and will assist you in preparing a complaint. Until you formally file a charge with our Bureau, your call is completely confidential.

You may also submit a request by mail, fax or send an email to Jacqueline.Gonzales@state.nm.us to have an intake officer contact you. You will typically be contacted within two (2) business days from receipt of your request.


Effective March 1, 2010, parties represented by counsel will be expected to prepare their own FORMS for initiating a Human Rights Claim. Parties who are not represented by an attorney should contact the Human Rights Bureau for assistance in completing the necessary paperwork to file a complaint. Packet must include all of the following forms:

Online Intake Contact Request Form

  • *