• YouTube Twitter/XTwitter/X Instagram Facebook
  • Office Locations Contact Us

About the Child Labor Section

The Child Labor Section enforces the Child Labor Act and investigates possible violations concerning minors. This section issues and monitors work permits and age certificates issued by the schools to assure compliance. In addition, the section is responsible for notifying school officials of applicable laws and making presentations to students and employers. The Child Labor Section continues to work in partnership with the USDOL to expand the leverage of its enforcement and education initiatives. Education serves to promote voluntary compliance by informing employers, educators, young workers, and their parents about the child labor laws so that they may make informed decisions about when and where young workers should work.

Employers are generally subject to both state child labor laws and the federal child labor provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), 29 U.S. C. 212(c), and the FLSA regulations at 29 CFR part 570. Certain provisions of New Mexico state law may be less restrictive than federal law, and employers covered by the FLSA that only follow a less restrictive provision of New Mexico state law will be in violation of federal law, See 29 U.S.C. 218 (a). For more information on federal child labor law, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division website at - www.dol.gov/whd/

Work Permit Certificate Form - PDF English Español

For questions about work permits, contact the Child Labor Law Compliance Officer at (505) 841-4406 or (505) 589-8242.


Rules, Regulations, & Statutes

New Mexico State Statutes - https://nmonesource.com/nmos/nmsa/en/nav_date.do

  • Click on the link above, then enter "Chapter 50 - Employment Law" into the search bar on that page.
  • Select "Article 6 Employment of Children" from the left-hand menu.

New Mexico State Regulations - https://nmonesource.com/nmos/nmac/en/nav_date.do/

  1. Click on Title 11 "Labor and Workers' Compensation"
  2. Click on Chapter 1 "Labor General Provisions"
  3. Click on 11.1.4 "Wage and Hour and Employment of Children"

Employment of Children In The Entertainment Industry

The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions enforces rules for employing and protecting child performers in the entertainment industry, including motion pictures, theatrical, radio, and television productions. The rules require employers to follow educational and safety requirements stated in rules NMAC and the statutes 50-6-1 to 50-6-19 NMSA 1978 Comp.

The employer is responsible for obtaining a Pre-Authorization Certificate for any child performer under the age of 18 BEFORE the employment begins. The certificate is valid for one year or until the specific project is completed, whichever time period is shorter. For more information please refer to the "Child Employment Entertainment Law" brochure located under "Additional Resources" on the top right-hand side of this page.


Frequently Asked Child Labor Law Questions

State and federal laws have set 14 as the minimum age for employment. However, at any age, youth may deliver newspapers; perform in radio, television, movie, or theatrical productions; work in businesses owned by their parents except in mining, manufacturing or hazardous jobs); and perform babysitting or perform minor chores around private home.

In accordance with the New Mexico rules, employers hiring children to work in the entertainment industry (radio, television, movies or theatrical) need to obtain a pre-authorization certificate PRIOR TO THE CHILDS FIRST DAY OF WORK.

Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the minimum age for employment in non-agricultural employment is 14. Hours worked by 14- and 15-year-olds are limited to:

  • Non-school hours;
  • 3 hours in a school day;
  • 18 hours in a school week;
  • 8 hours on a non-school day;
  • 40 hours on a non-school week; and
  • Hours between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (except from June 1 through Labor Day, when evening hours are extended to 9 p.m.)

Youth 14 and 15 years old enrolled in an approved Work Experience and Career Exploration Program (WECEP) may be employed for up to 23 hours in school weeks and 3 hours on school days (including during school hours).
The FLSA does not limit the number of hours or times of day for workers 16 years and older.

Minimum wage is the lowest hourly wage that businesses may legally pay to employees or workers. The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions enforces the state minimum wage. Certain cities and counties enforce their own minimum wage. Businesses should be aware that the state will enforce the highest available rate. The state minimum wage is $11.50 effective January 1, 2021. Cities and counties in New Mexico that have minimum wage ordinances include Albuquerque, Bernalillo county, Santa Fe, Santa Fe County, and Las Cruces.

The student must show proof of age at the time of issuance. Examples of proof of age include but are not limited to: birth certificate, Tribal ID, passport, and government issued identification. The student’s prospective employer must also certify on the application that the type of work to be performed is not dangerous to the child or injurious to the child’s health, morals, or mental development.

Yes, there are prohibited occupations for minors ages 14 and 15, and there are hazardous occupations for minors age 16 and 17.

FLSA - Prohibited occupations for minors ages 14 and 15
Occupations involving mining, manufacturing, processing including laundry and dry cleaning, duties is workrooms, public messenger service, hoisting apparatus' or any power driven machinery, power driven mowers/cutters, the use of auto pits, racks lifting apparatus.' Occupations in connection with transportation or persons or property, warehousing/storage, communications, public utilities, and construction. Occupations in retail food and gas service establishments; work in boiler/engine rooms, maintenance/repair of machines and equipment, outside window washing, cooking and baking, operating, setting up, adjusting, cleaning, oiling or repairing power-driven food slicers, grinders choppers and mixers, work in freezers/coolers, loading and unloading goods.

FLSA - Hazardous occupations for minors age 16 and 17
Occupations involving or in connection with; explosives, motor-vehicle drivers, mining, logging including sawmill, power-driven wood working machinery, radioactive substances, hoisting apparatus’, elevators, cranes derricks, hoists, and high lift trucks, metal forming/punching/shearing machines, slaughtering/meat packing, power driven bakery machines, paper product machines, manufacture of brick, tile and kindred products, circular saws, band saws and guillotine shears, wreaking, demolition, and ship breaking, roofing occupations and excavation operations.

State Law prohibits the following for under the age of 16:

  • Around belted machines while in motion
  • Power driven wood working machines
  • Around plants or establishments containing explosive components
  • Around plants or establishments where malt or alcoholic beverages are manufactured, packed, wrapped or stored
  • Around electrical hazards
  • Municipal firefighting
  • In any employment dangerous to lives and limbs or injurious to the health or morals of children
  • Door to door sales – except for non-profit activities with the parent’s approval.

State Law prohibits the following for under the age of 18:
Children under the age of 18 may NOT be employed in any quarry or mine underground or at or about any place where explosives are used. 


Contact Information

Santa Fe Map

401 Broadway Blvd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Phone: 505-841-4406 or 505-589-8242
Fax: 505-841-4424

  • Do you want to become an

    Applications Developer?

    Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.

  • Do you want to become a


    Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems.

  • Do you want to become an


    Raise, place, and unite iron or steel girders, columns, and other structural members to form completed structures or structural frameworks. May erect metal storage tanks and assemble prefabricated metal buildings.

  • Do you want to become an


    Perform preliminary work with the material and tools of the trade; residential and commercial rough wiring and finish work including the installation of various kinds of wires, cables, and conduits per the National Electrical Code; industrial lighting and service installation; motors controls and installation including emergency generators, relays, and timing devices.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us and we'll do our best to answer your questions.