Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) to provide an additional $100/week to claimants
For Immediate Release
February 26, 2021
Contact: Stacy Johnston
Acting Public Information Officer
Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) to provide an additional $100/week to eligible claimants
(Albuquerque, NM) – The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions (NMDWS) will open applications for Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC) starting Wednesday, March 10, 2021. MEUC is a program under the Continued Assistance Act in which states were given the option to participate. New Mexico is one of several states that chose to administer the program.
"Governor Lujan Grisham knows how important every dollar is to New Mexicans during this pandemic, and we will take advantage of every opportunity to get federal funds into our neighbors pockets' so they can pay their bills and feed their kids," said Bill McCamley, NMDWS Cabinet Secretary.
The MEUC program provides an additional $100 per week in supplemental compensation to individuals receiving certain unemployment benefits who earned at least $5,000 of net self-employment income in the tax year prior to the individual’s initial unemployment claim. This benefit is payable for weeks of unemployment beginning December 27, 2020 through the week ending March 13, 2021 for eligible individuals.
MEUC Eligibility Requirements
- Must be an eligible recipient of an unemployment benefit program other than Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) during the weeks covered by the MEUC program, which are December 27, 2020 through March 13, 2021.
- Earned at least $5,000 in net self-employment income in the tax year prior to the individual’s initial unemployment claim.
- Must apply for the MEUC program and submit documentation that clearly shows $5,000 net self-income.
- If the initial standard Unemployment Insurance (STUI) claim was established in 2020, the claimant will need to submit documents for tax year 2019.
- If the initial standard Unemployment Insurance (STUI) claim was established in 2021, the claimant will need to submit documents for tax year 2020.
If tax documents are not available (e.g. because taxes have not been filed yet), acceptable documentation of self-employment income includes, but is not limited to:
- 1099 forms
- Bank receipts
- Business ledgers
- Business records
- Billing Statements
Note: Tax deductible expense total will need to be provided to calculate net income.
NMDWS will issue notifications to individuals who are potentially eligible for the MEUC benefits with information on how to apply and documents that will be required. On March 10, 2021, claimants may apply online by clicking on “Apply for Self-Employment MEUC” from the menu option on their claimant homepage. They may also apply over the phone with a Customer Service Agent by calling 1-877-664-6984, Monday through Friday, 7:00am-5:00pm. The last day for applications will be March 13, 2021. More information can be found at https://www.dws.state.nm.us/COVID-19-Info.