• YouTube Twitter/XTwitter/X Instagram Facebook
  • Office Locations Contact Us

How may I learn about discrimination?

The Human Rights Bureau has an education unit whose mission is to provide training and education to the public, especially employers, about unlawful discrimination and how to prevent it. If you would like information concerning our education program you may contact the Bureau at (505) 827-6838 or toll-free at 1-800-566-9471.

What is the Human Rights Commission?

The Human Rights Commission is comprised of eleven citizens appointed by the governor to conduct hearings involving discrimination complaints. The eleven members volunteer their services and are not employees of the state. A commission hearing may be conducted by a single hearing officer or a three-member panel. The final decision in every case is made by a three-member panel either on cases the panel has heard or recommendations from the hearing officer.

I was bypassed for a major promotion because I am pregnant. Is this legal?

No. The law is very specific when it comes to pregnancy discrimination. The primary agency that administers federal law on pregnancy discrimination is the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which can be reached at 1-800-669-4000. Contact EEOC to speak to a counselor about your legal rights. You may also contact the New Mexico Human Rights Bureau who cover employers with four or more employees and can be reached at 1-800-566-9471 or through the DWS website. Your employer cannot take away credit for previous work years or seniority because you go on maternity leave.



  • Do you want to become an

    Applications Developer?

    Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.

  • Do you want to become a


    Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems.

  • Do you want to become an


    Raise, place, and unite iron or steel girders, columns, and other structural members to form completed structures or structural frameworks. May erect metal storage tanks and assemble prefabricated metal buildings.

  • Do you want to become an


    Perform preliminary work with the material and tools of the trade; residential and commercial rough wiring and finish work including the installation of various kinds of wires, cables, and conduits per the National Electrical Code; industrial lighting and service installation; motors controls and installation including emergency generators, relays, and timing devices.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us and we'll do our best to answer your questions.