• YouTube Twitter Instagram Facebook
  • Office Locations Contact Us

There is an issue regarding my claim. How do I proceed? What are some of the separation issues that can come up?

Certain claim issues relate to the eligibility requirements of Unemployment Insurance. Issues can include: if you have become a student; are unable or unavailable for work; if you have moved; if you are working; and if you are not actively seeking work. Issues on a claim can sometimes take a few weeks for a decision to be made.

If your claim issue relates to a separation issue, NMDWS’ adjudication unit will contact you. For a separation issue, you and your employer will be asked to describe the circumstances surrounding your employment separation. Based on the information provided, a claims adjudicator will issue a decision within a few weeks in accordance with New Mexico Unemployment Insurance law. The decision may delay or deny payment. You will receive a written determination within 4-8 weeks from your date of initial claim. If you are denied benefits and you do not agree, you may appeal the decision within 15 days from the date of determination. You should continue to certify if you are appealing the determination.

Once I file a claim, how do I start my job searches?

The New Mexico Workforce Connection Centers offer a wide array of free services and resources to help you become reemployed. There are resources for job information and openings, and assistance for pursuing education goals, training or apprenticeships. In addition, Workforce Connection Offices offer free computer access and a variety of workshops to help you achieve your job search or career goals. To find the New Mexico Workforce Connection near you, visit our website www.dws.state.nm.us and click on "Office Locations" located at the top right hand corner of the screen.

How do I find information about work search requirements?

If you are requesting to certify for your weekly benefits, you will be required to report your work search contacts at the time that you certify. Unless exempted by the department, you are required to make a minimum of two different work search contacts every week to qualify for benefits. You will need to report the date of your contact, the type of work it was, the employer's name, the person or website address, the type of contact, contact information (such as phone number or web address), and what was the result of your contact. Please have this information readily available at the time you certify or your benefits may be delayed.

More information is available at www.dws.state.nm.us/Unemployment-Insurance/UI-Information/Work-Search-Requirement-Information.

How do I change my payment method from direct deposit to debit card or vice versa?

Changing your preferred payment method can be done via the online UI Tax & Claims system (www.jobs.state.nm.us). Please note, you may receive a paper check (warrant) in the mail during the transition to your new payment method for at least the first week after you make the change in our system. For information about the Wells Fargo Debit Cards, visit www.dws.state.nm.us, and click on the information available under the "Unemployment Insurance" header and the "Debit Card Information" column.

How do I report my change of address?

You can change your address by logging into your account through the online UI Tax & Claims System (www.jobs.state.nm.us), available Sunday through Friday from 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. You can also report your change of address to a Customer Service Agent (CSA) through the 1-877-NM-4-MYUI (1-877-664-6984) toll-free number. The UI Operations Center is open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.



  • Do you want to become an

    Applications Developer?

    Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.

  • Do you want to become a


    Assemble, install, alter, and repair pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems.

  • Do you want to become an


    Raise, place, and unite iron or steel girders, columns, and other structural members to form completed structures or structural frameworks. May erect metal storage tanks and assemble prefabricated metal buildings.

  • Do you want to become an


    Perform preliminary work with the material and tools of the trade; residential and commercial rough wiring and finish work including the installation of various kinds of wires, cables, and conduits per the National Electrical Code; industrial lighting and service installation; motors controls and installation including emergency generators, relays, and timing devices.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us and we'll do our best to answer your questions.